Thursday, April 3, 2008

Are You A Vampire?

I was in my early high school when I first took a chance in reading one of my mom’s books, she was fond of reading. I see selections from romance, politics, social and sci-fi, but what caught my eye is the eerie paperback about a vampire. The book was Interview With The Vampire by Anne Rice, first published in 1977 in Canada, my mom’s paperback was printed way back 1993. I was really curious about this Vampire chronicles so I started reading. It probably took me 3 days or so after putting down the book. I think the book just tired me. I understood the story, or so I thought, but I don’t remember if I did raved on it or something. But a spark of flame of belief came into me, about vampires being real or not and immortality. Do I believe in vampires back then? Yes. Did I sometimes wish of being one? Yes. Was I afraid of being bitten by one? Definitely not! It’s as if I want to experience a bite from a vampire, an ecstasy, owning.

Several years have passed, after the Queen of the Damned (an adaptation of Rice’s novel, a part of vampire chronicles) came out of the cinemas and blew me away because of the neo-gothic Lestat, another book by the same author, of the same theme came into my possession – Vittorio the Vampire, published 1999. As claimed by Rice, this one’s not part of the chronicles, it was about an Italian gentleman’s becoming as a vampire with Italy’s Golden Age as the background. I was not at awe after finishing the novel but was shocked with the vast information that I never assumed a book about a vampire could offer. It was a history slash art book but is definitely a fiction. I immediately ran back to our bookcase and looked for the Interview with the Vampire novel and read it non-stop. Now I did appreciate the gothic-emo-charm of Lestat and Claudia, and Armand, the book. Rice’s description of eroticism in the novel is striking. Tarnished innocence and awakening is her niche. As well as falling in the deep wells of darkness were solemnly told. Worked well for me, a six year old imagination paired with a very openly-curious, well-read adult mind in the midst of confusion and being lost, perfect!

Just recently, I came across this article in Time Magazine, dated March 17, 2008 with the unassumingly happy US Senator Hilary Clinton on the cover. It’s about readers asking Anne Rice questions; reasonably the article is titled 10 Questions. Apparently, Rice has switched into writing about the Lord (latest book – Christ the Lord: Road to Cana) and that she had vowed not to write anything about vampires, ultimately about Lestat, ever or perhaps not in the old way anymore. She says that she would write another novel about Lestat that imposes his redemption to God. "– wresting with the existence of God", Rice explained. Anne Rice was a self-proclaimed atheist but now a believer. What’s the reason for her conversion? She as well wrestled with God’s existence, and with constant searching faith came back to her.

On my point of view, I think Rice is the vampire she has been writing all along, all these years. By the way, she doesn’t believe in vampires at all, who in these contemporary times? "Vampires are perfect metaphors for the lost soul," as Rice shared. A clear as it is, as personified, she was the lost soul that found redemption.
Right now, thinking about these things, I guess I’m a vampire. Are you one of us?



One of America's most read and celebrated authors, Anne Rice (born October 4, 1941) is known for weaving the visible and supernatural worlds together in epic stories that both entertain and challenge readers. Her books are rich tapestries of history, belief, philosophy, religion, and compelling characters that examine and extend our physical world beyond the limits we perceive.Anne lives and works in California. Anne's life experiences and intellectual inquisitiveness provide her with constant inspiration for her work.

No comments:

Post a Comment